Thursday, July 17, 2014

Oh, hey! I missed more weeks than I thought....

Well, better to come back after a few weeks than to keep not-posting, right? The dinner was really nice, and the 4th of July weekend was great! Neale and I learned how to do torch-fired enamel with powdered glass, which was really cool. Neale's was much better than mine. I finished the quilt! Unfortunately, when I washed it, I found some places that needed fixing. I think I didn't have quite enough seam allowance. I think the real problem was that I wasn't as precise with the background hexagons that I cut myself, and some of them came out a little bit bigger than the pre-cut ones, and then the slightly larger hexies didn't fit together as well as they should have. So, all of the problems have been fixed, and since they were almost all around the edges of the hexie flowers, where the pre-cuts met the background fabric, I sewed over those edges with a decorative stitch on the sewing machine. It was a nice way to outline the flowers, I thought. So tomorrow or Saturday, that will be heading off to its new owner. Now, I'm working on a medieval Green Lantern tunic for the husband. There's going to be a super hero ball at an upcoming event, Academy of Performing Arts. Neale wants to be Green Lantern, which was inspired by Aladdin. I'm making a tunic with tiraz bands, which were bands with Arabic calligraphy attached to tunic sleeves. Usually, they would have passages from the Koran, or something like "God is great." Mine have the Green Lantern oath translated into Arabic. I'm nearly done. Pictures will be forthcoming soon, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment