Thursday, June 12, 2014

Introduction

Hi! Since this is the second week of June, I thought that it was about time I got on that list of stuff I was going to do this summer. The top of the list is to start actually writing in my blog. I love listening to podcasts while I walk, and sometimes around the house. I'm not up to tackling podcasting right now, but I'd like to get out there in the crafting community a little more. So, back to blogging, and since it's been so long since I updated my old, very sparse blog, why not start a new one? So, a little about me: I'm April, I've been married for 7 1/2 years. I'm a Montessori teacher with 2.25 cats, and the fraction is because our boy (seen in my profile pic) is a big boy. My husband and I are medieval re-enactors in the Society for Creative Anachronism. In the society, I am The Honorable Lady Medb (Maeve) inghean Daire, a 12th century Irishwoman living in a crusader state in the Middle East. I am also an apprentice, the equivalent of a squire to a person who was knighted for excellence in the arts. No, that's not completely accurate, but everybody knows about knights and squires, right? I do a lot of crafting, both modern and....not, mostly textile based. I knit, quilt, sew, embroider, and I'm learning to spin with a drop spindle. The last project I finished was the first stage of what I'm calling Henry VIII's Blankie. He totally had one. For real. In the 1547 inventory of all of Henry VIII's stuff, which makes a pretty big book, there were a handful of small quilts, about a yard by a yard and a half made of linen with wool stuffing. One of them was "for use by the King's person." See? He totally had a blankie. I don't blame him, blankies are awesome. It's stage one because plain whitework just doesn't seem fancy enough for The King. Seriously, the guy had an indoor porta-pottie with a velvet seat cushion. Stage two will be embroidery on top of the quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment